- Discuss a problem. Air quality.
- Questions to explore:
- Why is it a problem? Health: life (animals incl. people); Planet (environment)
- How to solve? Awareness: monitor (tech) and react (social): civics -> inform -> policy
- Class structured around monitoring. Guide students into developing a plan to monitor (see Design Objectives section for ideas)
- Provide formal structure (i.e., concepts) as come across them. E.g.:
- Principles of design. What makes a good design? Useful, simple, attactive, easy to use, cost effective
- Collaboration. Allow individuals to do deep work focusing on their interests to drive results
- Create network of PM measurement nodes for a campus.
- Data is uploaded to cloud
- Portable power?
- Measure at least PM2.5
- Display on LCD at node
- Visualize map of PM concentration throughout campus (both in units of concentration and AQI)
- Should be cost-effective and easy enough for 9th graders to program
- Use ESP8266, Arduino, or Raspberry Pi?
- Discuss pros/cons of various setups --> What makes a good design?
- If a node needs repair, allow for easy fixes; repairs should be robust to availability of parts
- Place inside nodes near filters to allow for monitoring of filter efficacy
- Allow for comparison of inside nodes to outside nodes to monitor efficacy of indoor filtering in general
- What are the impacts of PM? Biological/physiological/health effects? How is life expectancy affected? What are causes of high PM? What can be done to reduce?
- AQI. What is AQI? How is it defined? Why is it defined how it is? How to translate sensor data into AQI?
- Sensor data calibration. How to do it?: Discuss standards and validation. Why to do it?: What is truth?
- Interpreting measurements. How to get usable data (e.g., filtering, processing, etc.)? What to average over what time period to compare to what limits?
- Learn about human factors design in the context of repairability/maintainability. Create tutorial for anyone to be able to troubleshoot and fix
What have you learned about design? Why is it important to you?
- Air quality monitoring IOT – Arduino & sensors connected to a Raspberry Pi: see "Further references / alternatives" at end
- Ambient air analyzer.
- MEASURE AIR QUALITY YOURSELF
- How To Measure Particulate Matter With a Raspberry Pi
- How To Measure Particulate Matter With a Raspberry Pi (Update)
- Air quality sensor project
- Testing the Shinyei PPD42NS
- Nova PM sensor SDS011 high precision laser PM2.5 air quality detection sensor module