Barbara M. Clabots
Volunteer Coordinator | Seattle Surfrider | 2013- present
Spearheading a cigarette litter prevention program. Building volunteer capacity by teaching communication and leadership skills. Doubled social media following in two years, increased original content on website, developed outreach materials and presentations.
Surf Instructor | Warm Current | 2013- present
Lead waterfront safety and lifeguard to teach underprivileged youth to surf safely. Collaborate with tribal partners. Recruit and train volunteers.
Expedition Leader | Camp Gallagher | 2008-2011
Managed expedition trips in South Puget Sound via kayak, sailboat, and canoe for high school students. Planned meals, maintained boats and expedition gear.
Program Coordinator | Campus Kitchens Project | 2004-2008
Improved ROI, grew volunteer base by engaging corporate groups, recruited donations from grocery chains, and doubled program capacity.
Field Research Program Assistant | School for Field Studies, Mexico| 2011
Built and managed datasets on sustainability in Mexican fisheries. Led field research exercises, coordinated meals and camping, taught cultural competency to student leaders and mentored young scientists.
Gender and Conservation Sociologist| IUCN Global Gender Office | 2015- current
Building original datasets in Excel, performing desk-based analyses, developing fact sheets and reports to summarize results for funding partners.
Research Consultant | NOAA Alaska Fisheries Science Center; WA Sea Grant; U.S. Coral Triangle Initiative | 2013-2014
Performed rapid and accurate transcriptions to build qualitative datasets on various topics: commercial crabbing, cultural ecosystem services of shellfishing; reef management in Southeast Asia.
Research Assistant | University of Washington| 2011-2013
Improved datasets by reducing error rates and preparing data for analysis in SPSS. Organized filing system.
Research Diver | Global Vision International, mexico | 2010
Investigated growth rates and health status for 50 species of coral by identification.
Science Teacher | Northwest Yeshiva High School| 2014-2015
Instructed high school level biology, ecology, and ocean science lab and coursework. Developed curriculum from scratch. Planned and led field trips.
Environmental Policy Outreach Consultant | Surfrider Foundation | 2013-2014
Contributed to survey design and engaged 300 coastal recreators in marine spatial planning through public outreach and development of flyers and online communications materials.
Master of Marine and Environmental Affairs | 2011-2013 | University of Washington
- Southeast Asia Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellow
Honors Bachelor of Science in Biology and Spanish | 2004-2008 | St. Louis University
- Graduated Magna cum laude
- Earned a Certificate in Leadership and Personal Development
Skills & Abilities
- Second language: Spanish- advanced, Tagalog- novice
- Technical skills: Microsoft Office Suite, high aptitude for learning new software.
- Typing speed: 89 WPM with 90%+ accuracy
Awards & Honors
- Awarded "30 under 30- Young Green Leader" by Washington Conservation Voters. (2015)
- Wendy Graham Scholarship for research presentation by U. of Washington. (2012)
- St. Francis Xavier Scholarship for merit, service, and leadership at St. Louis University. (Re-awarded annually 2004-2008)
- Awarded Excellence in Student Leadership for Social Justice at St. Louis University. (2008)
Publications and Presentations
- Guest blog post: "At the intersection of gender, outdoor recreation, and leadership." EcoWomen, February 2016.
- Article: “Would you rather eat shrimp peeled by slaves, or by robots?” Seattle Globalist. January 2016.
- Article: “Why female salmon consumers need more transparency.” Seattle Globalist. December 2015.
- Presentation: “Hold On To Your Butts- A Cigarette Litter Initiative in Seattle”. Surfrider Foundation PNW Chapter Conference. July 2015.
- Presentation: “Marine Spatial Planning in Washington: How you can get involved”. Tacoma Audubon Society, Port Angeles Visitor Bureau, Surfrider Foundation PNW Chapter Conference. July 2014.
- Press Releases and OpEds: Various topics for Surfrider programs including “Surfrider recruits coastal recreators for survey”, “Time for cigarette litter prevention in Seattle”.