Installing the Oracle Java 8 JDK on SmartOS
- Go to: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html
- Download the "Solaris x64 XX.X MB jdk-8u66-solaris-x64.tar.gz" tarball from the Oracle Java SE site. You won't be able to paste the URL into curl on your SmartOS instance unless you click it first to get the authentication parameter. Regardless, get the tarball any way that you prefer and copy it onto your SmartOS instance.
- Extract the tarball and copy it to the location of your choosing.
- Globally set the value of the environment variable JAVA_HOME to the path of the JVM.
- Update your PATH to include the Java bin directory by setting it to PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin