How to Install Waterfox on Linux
Installing Waterfox to the home directory of the current user is ideal, so the automatic updater can install updates.
You won't need to modify any special permissions to get automatic updates, if you install in /home/user/
Run the following commands as your normal user; do not run as root!
Download Waterfox for Linux; Right-click & copy the URL
Open a terminal and
cdinto the home directory:
user@hostmame ~$ <-- Tilde: ~ indicates the home directory
- Run the following command (replace the https url in the example, with the url obtained from the Waterfox website, to ensure you get the latest version):
- Extract the compressed file:
tar -xvjf ./waterfox*.tar.bz2
Done! You can launch Waterfox from the commandline (optional) via:
Add Waterfox to Gnome
- Hit the super user key (windows key)
- Search for Main Menu
- Click on Internet (left panel) -> New Item (right button)
- Click the icon on the left panel and navigate to: /home/user/waterfox/browser/icons and double-click mozicon128.png to select it
- Fill out the name; for command, click browse and navigate to your Waterfox installation: /home/user/waterfox/ and select the waterfox executable
Now when you search for waterfox in Gnome, it should appear in your results and is also available to pin in your dash or dock.
(optional; these fields can also be modified with the Menu Editor application) Allow links to open with Waterfox
If it doesn't already exist, create Waterfox.desktop in
~/.local/share/applications and populate with the following (change the installation path from
/home/angela/waterfox to wherever you installed in on your own system.):
[Desktop Entry] Version=1.0 Type=Application Name=Waterfox Icon=/home/angela/waterfox/browser/icons/mozicon128.png Exec=env GTK_THEME=Adwaita:light /home/angela/waterfox/waterfox %u NoDisplay=false Categories=Network;WebBrowser; StartupNotify=false Terminal=false MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml;application/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;
You may need to restart Gnome shell for this to take effect:
- Alt + F2 on most systems; enter
- or via CLI:
Note: The above instructions can also be used for Firefox or Firefox ESR; though compiling from source should only be done if you want the latest version(s) that aren't available in your distro's package manager.