Source: The second half, modern, from https://youtube.com/watch?v=qoHnwOHLiMk
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (about a third of an 8oz wedge (i.e., 2⅔oz ungrated cheese) becomes a cup when grated).
- ½ cup grated Romano cheese (so get 1+1/3oz ungrated cheese).
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk (for a total of 4 egg yolks and 3 egg whites)
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ pound guanciale (or pancetta (or thick cut bacon))
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 × 12oz pack bucatini noodles
- Grate cheeses.
- Put eggs and yolk in a separate bowl.
- Lightly stir pepper into egg mixture.
- Mix egg mixture into cheese.
- Cut bacon into ½ inch chunks.
- Place bacon on cold frying pan and fry until lightly crip.
- Strain grease out of bacon into separate bowl and save.
- Return bacon to frying pan and measure 2 tbsp from the bowl back into it. You may discard the remaining bacon grease (recommended to leave in bowl until it hardens and then wipe out using a paper towel and throw in garbage to avoid clobbing your drain pipes).
- Mix minced garlic into bacon.
- Fry the bacon/grease/garlic mixture for a minute (until fragrant).
- Follow directions on noodles to cook them.
- Dump noodles into bacon and stir togeter.
- Dump the egg+cheese sauce into the noodles and bacon and stir constantly until combined. Note: stir immediately—otherwise, the egg may cook prematurely. To ensure success, transfer to a large mixing bowl if necessary first.
- Serve with garnish of additional grated cheese and pepper.