Below is the cell phone agreement I have with my kids. It was largely inspired by this contract which had some excellent ideas.
Tweenager Cell Phone Responsibilities
- I understand that my cell phone is a privilege, not a right. Mom and dad can look at anything on my phone and take it away for any length of time and for any reason.
I will silence and put away or turn off my phone:
- At 7:30 p.m. each night, and I will put the phone on the charger upstairs
- When I get home from school - until homework is done and mom and dad have given the ok
- When I’m in church (except for approved times)
- At school (except for approved times)
- Whenever else mom or dad ask me
- I understand that I am responsible for knowing where my phone is, and for keeping it in good condition
- I will keep the case and screen protector on my phone at all times
- If my phone is lost, I will be responsible for saving money and buying a replacement
Apps and Accounts
- I will not download any apps without permission
- I will not sign up for any online accounts without permission
Passcodes and Passwords
- I will keep as lock code set on my phone at all times, which mom and dad will know
- I will not share my phone lock code or any passwords with anyone except mom and dad
Sending messages, chats, texts, pictures and videos
- I will not send threatening or mean texts to others
- I will only send messages to people I know personally
- I will not send personal information like my name, age, birthday, passwords or address
- I will tell mom and dad immediately I get a call, email, text or message from someone I don’t know, or if I’m being bullied or harassed
- I will not send embarrassing photos of myself, my family or friends to others.
- I will not use my phone's camera to take embarrassing photos of others
- I will never text or message private pictures of my body or anyone else.
- I will only visit age-appropriate Websites.
- If I am looking at content that I wouldn’t show my mom and dad, pastor and grandparents, I will close/quit Web browsing immediately and talk to mom and dad about it.
- I understand that I will make myself available to answer any questions my tween might have about owning a cell phone and using it responsibly
- I will support my child when he or she alerts me to an alarming message or text message that he or she has received
- I will answer any questions my child has about content seen/heard on the phone