My observations on using Firefox OS phone, Peak, since 2 May 2013
- Auto-brightness is constantly changing when switching apps or views of an app, eventhough the surrounding ambient light doesn't change much. I've disabled it.
- Press both 'Home' button and 'Sleep/wake' button, takes screenshot, like iPhone.
- Gallery, Camera, Music app, etc don't work without a microSD memory card in the phone.
- If 'USB mass storage' option is enabled in Settings app -> 'Media storage', Gallery and Camera app doesn't work while plugged in (charging) to the computer, stating that the memory card is in use.
- 3 ways to install web apps; via Marketplace, Firefox browser or the Search screen. Sometimes generate different icons on the Home screen from each method.
Firefox browser seems to have a viewport issue, where web pages seems to be 2x zoomed out. Once the web page is added to Home screen, relaunch from there, the web page is no longer 2x zoomed out. Marketplace app somehow still have issue.
- Scrolling on the added home-screen web apps is not 1:1. Content under the finger scrolls faster than expected.
- The sounds on the phone are inconsistent. Eventhough I've set the volume for 'Ringer & Notifications' and 'Alarm' to be around 50%, the 'Unlock screen' sound, keyboard's 'Click' sound, phone keypad's tap sound and Camera's 'snap' sound are emitted at >90% volume.
- Some demos I'ved tried on http://threejs.org/ runs at 1FPS on the Firefox browser.
YouTube videos don't play. Vimeo as well. Vimeo mentions videos are not mobile-optimized instead.
- Holding the 'Home' icon will show running apps for multitasking. Closing the app is abrupt and doesn't show any animation.
- Music from Grooveshark's mobile site actually plays.
- Orientation on some apps work for all four sides. So, it can be upside-down.
- Camera shots are quite decent and sometimes look 'bright'.
- Sometimes, images in Gallery are duplicated (shown twice) eventhough I only took the photo once.
- FM radio app requires plugged-in headset (that can receive radio signals?) to work.
- Added-home-screen web apps sometimes get frozen when launched. Have to kill then relaunch.
- I can't tweet an image from Twitter mobile web site.
- Geolocation (GPS) doesn't work most of the time.
- There's no rubber-band effect or any indicators when scroll to the edges.
- OTA update works. Got it since the first day unboxing the phone. Around 100MB download.
- Compared to iPhone's keyboard, FirefoxOS's keyboard has 3 extra keys.
,on left and
.on right side of the
'on right side of 'L' key, which I think is very annoying.
<input type=file>doesn't work at all in Firefox browser. When focus on the field, it pops up the keyboard.
 Fixed after installing build 20130603202903
I couldn't use my Firefox OS Peak phone now because the battery became bloated. I'll need to wait for Geeksphone store to sell battery replacements so that I can buy from them.