How to Update Java
The official Minecraft launcher and the Twitch Minecraft launcher will use Java
1.8.0_25 by default. This version was released on October 14th, 2014. This version is very old, and has many performance and security issues. Many Minecraft mods will also have weird crashes and obscure errors if you are not using a newer version. You can download a newer version of Java yourself here. The current recomendation is to download Version 8 Update 171. Please do not get Java 9 or Java 10, as mods do not work with those yet.
Updating in the Twitch Launcher
- Open the twitch laucher.
- Click on the triangle in the top right of the launcher to open a dropdown menu.
- Click settings, and then click on Minecraft on the left.
- Change the Launch Method from
- Scroll down to Java Version and click on the selection box.
- Confirm that
Always Latest Versionis showing
Java: 184.108.40.206or newer.
Note: If you don't see a newer version of Java, you need to install it! You can download newer versions of Java here. Please do not get Java 9 or Java 10, as mods do not work with those yet.
Updating in the Official Launcher
- Open the offiical minecraft launcher.
- Select the profile you want to modify in the bottom left.
- Go to
Java Settings (Advanced)and check the box if it's not checked.
- Change the file path to where you installed the new Java version.
Save Profile. Try to launch the game to confirm it is correct.