Edinburgh Release Asks
- Remove edinburgh branch from device-smnp-go and edgex-ui-clojure repos. (And device-sdk-go if below proposal is okayed.)
- Release from master using automated tagging. (gitsemver)
- Cut edinburgh branch in the future ONLY if it diverges from master.
- Changes are backwards compatible unless otherwise specified.
- Creates a pressure to not make compatiblity breaking changes unless it is really required.
device-sdk-go Release process
We want to "release" this repo sooner rather than later so developers have more time to do integration.
- Create pipeline for device-sdk-go (Jacob and Lisa scoped this and it is not a big ask for device-sdk-go. Estimated 1 days worth of work.)
- Move device-sdk-go to gitsemver versioning
Option 1: (recommended)
- Rev device-sdk-go to 1.0.0-rc.1 (release candidate)
- Any patches to this repo up the rc.X version until the decision is made to cut the release to 1.0.0
- Downstream repos only specify they are using 1.0.0 so they will automatically pick up new release candidate versions when rebuilt.
- Only update downstream repos exactly once when they need to cut to 1.0.0 themselves. (Assumes no patches needed downstream.)
- Still have to update downstream repos exactly once to cut 1.0.0. (Due to current implementation and can be adjusted in the future.)
- Rev device-sdk-go to 0.8.0
- Any patches to this repo up to the release will up the patch version until the decision is made to cut the release to 1.0.0
- Similar versioning scheme to current. Might be easier for developers to understand.
- May have to update downstream repos many times because they wont automatically pick up new release candidates.
- Makes a bunch of bogus 0.8.X releases for device-sdk-go.