Using the Chubby Smoker
(as interpreted by Harper Reed through numerous videos)
- High Heat gloves
- Digital BBQ Thermometer
- Charcoal Chimney
- Wood (for flavoring)
- Place water pan on bottom in the space
- Place racks in whatever configuration you want
- Place heat diverter with lip face down and out towards the door
Fill water pan
Prepping the firebox
Always use high heat gloves when handling the firebox
- Open the firebox door
- Add wood (hickory) chunks to the charcoals
- Close firebox door tightly (slam)
- Open the meat door
- Put meat in however you wish
- Close the door firmly (slam)
- If the temperature goes above the desired temperature - then close the bottom dampers
- If the temperature goes below the desired temperature - then open the bottom dampers
- Make sure that the water pan always has water in it
- It is OK to open the door to check on the water and the meat just don't do it too often
- If you notice that there is smoke coming out of the doors - you can adjust the strike.
- Always smoke to temperature and not for a time limit. Every cut of meat is different as far as fat content, muscle fibers, starting temperature of your meat when you place it in your smoker, etc… Use a digital meat thermometer that will read your meat’s internal temperature throughout your entire cook.
- Be sure to experiment with your cooks.
- When smoking meat I always place a drip pan with water in it over the fire to keep moisture circulating. You want to have moisture in your smoker to keep your meat moist.
- When the cook is finished and I remove my masterpiece from the smoker, I almost always wrap it in alum foil, and then wrap it in a towel and let it sit for about 45 mins to an hour. This will help the juices redistribute throughout your meat making it juicy as can be.
- Backwoods Smoker Tricks - Grill Tour - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OXC7ntAerI
- Smoked Babyback Ribs On the Backwoods Smoker Chubby 3400 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1357ox3yr8
- Smoking Brisket on a Backwoods Smoker Chubby 3400 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX3LS1_uiZU
- Backwoods chubby 3400 smoked brisket - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJDpxP1aPxw