Disable Oculus Home and use the Gear VR
TL;DR: Remove any Oculus app and enable the Gear VR Service developper mode. Do not disable Gear VR Service package.
This step-by-step guide will allow you to plug your device into the Samsung Gear VR HMD without auto-launching Oculus Home and still having the HMD buttons disabled and the USB charger active.
We came to this procedure thanks to this guide. We found some steps not necessary and missed informations so we made this one. Cheers to robamacaf !
Finally, this has been tested and worked on a Samsung Galaxy S7 / Android 6.0.1 with an Apache Cordova app. If you have tested this on another setup and it worked, please notify me and I'll update this guide.
Step by step
- If you have previously installed Oculus, Oculus Home and such, uninstall any Oculus related app before (they'll have the Oculus logo in the applications list).
- Install "SideloadVR for Gear VR" from the Google Play Store.
- Open SideloadVR and follow the instructions.
- Go to SideloadVR Market once everything is set up. Install "Quark VR" and allow installation from unknown sources. No need to open the app once isntalled, you can just quit the SideloadVR app.
- Go to the device settings and open the "Applications" item, go to "Applications manager", look for the "GearVR Service" and open it. Tap "Storage", and then "Manage storage". Tap six times "VR Service Version". You can enable the Developper mode.
- Enable Android developper mode and USB debugging.
- You are done :)
Please comment if you had issues or if you succeed with any other setup, as this will enhance this guide and help more peoples. Thanks!