Ubuntu seems to have trouble talking to the Epson AL-M1200 printer. These instructions will get it working. Based on a set of instructions found here.
- Download epsoneplijs-0.4.1.tgz -file from here
cd Downloads(or whatever directory you downloaded the file to)
tar zxvf epsoneplijs-0.4.1.tgz
sudo make install
- Download PPD file from here or here
- Connect your printer to your computer and turn it on. (You can do it in the beginning, but at least now you need it connected and powered on.)
- Go to System Settings → Printing → click “Add” and choose from the list Epson AL-M1200.
- Click "Forward". Ubuntu searches for drivers for some time and then gives “New printer”-window with the title “Choose driver”.
- Tick the box "Provide PPD file” and navigate to the directory where you downloaded it and choose it.
- Click "Open" and "Forward". Ubuntu asks if you want a test page.