If you prefer VirtualBox or aren't running OS X, here are some instructions and a script to help you get started with SmartOS under VirtualBox. If you use VirtualBox, skip the first section and read the section on how to get the Node.js SmartMachine up and running.
Running SmartOS under vmware Fusion
- Start by downloading the latest live image
- When you run the new VM wizard, select "Continue without disk" on the first screen of the wizard.
- Select Sun Solaris / Solaris 10 64-bit on the next screen.
- You're going to get dumped to a config screen when the live image starts up, choose DHCP for the networking and defaults for everything else.
- Pretty much the first thing you're going to want to do is figure out how to SSH into the box once it boots and creates its storage pools, because trying to do stuff in the virtual console is miserable. There's no cut and paste