Freelance Developer & Evangelist, April 2016 – present
- Created proposals, specifications for work, and scheduling for clients.
- Guided new clients in the discovery process to determine needs and project scope.
- Contracted with teams in need of additional engineering.
- Delivered projects with documentation and guides to allow for continued development post-delivery.
Developer Evangelist & Software Engineer, Oct 2015 – April 2016
Algorithmia; Seattle, WA
- Coded demos & sample apps using the product across multiple languages.
- Introduced new tools & frameworks to the team to create a developer resource center.
- Edited and rewrote all technical product documentation & API specifications.
- Showcased the API to developers by presenting at conferences, meetups, & workshops with live code.
- Wrote the official Ruby client for interacting with the API.
- Bridged gap between platform & product team to drive the product roadmap & give early feedback.
Software Developer, Feb 2015 – Sept 2015
Siren; Seattle, WA
- Full stack development of a mobile dating app focusing on the female user's experience.
- Worked in Objective-C for iOS, CoffeeScript for an Ember web client, and Ruby for a Rails API.
- Developed features end-to-end, from designing the backend to consuming the API on the client.
- Wrote user stories for greenfield work & reimplementation/refactoring; maintained Pivotal Tracker.
- Paired with developers of all skill-levels, designers, and marketing for a holistic development process.
- Ran weekly retrospectives and followed up with action items.
Technical Fellow, June 2015 – July 2015
Square; San Francisco, CA
- Guest engineer on the Data Platform team as part of a pilot Technical Fellowship program.
- Spent 6 weeks learning for data warehousing architecture at a large scale, including technologies such as Hadoop/HIVE, Vertica, Luigi, and in-house tooling.
- Worked under general Lambda Architecture principles with both batch and streaming data workflows.
Developer Intern, May 2014 - Oct 2014
Substantial; Seattle, WA
- Worked collaboratively in small development teams on features for digital products, such as Distiller, Teaching Channel, Bluescape, and more.
- Full participation in fast-paced Agile, Lean, and Kanban methodologies for continuous delivery of user-focused stories.
- Followed test driven development best practices for unit, acceptance, and integration tests with RSpec, Jasmine, Capybara, and Kiwi.
- Wrote code across multiple technologies including Ruby on Rails, Spine.js, CoffeeScript, iOS, Objective-C, OpenGL, HAML, SASS, and more.
- Paired with senior developers to learn efficient debugging, workflow optimization, cross-browser compatibility, accessibility principles, and development best practices.
Administrative Assistant, Aug 2012 - Oct 2013
PreCash, Inc.; Portland, OR
- Designed and maintained a regression test plan for a financial web app.
- Developed automated test cases with Selenium2Library via Robot Framework and RIDE.
- Translated copy into Spanish and oversaw the localization of the mobile web app.
- Arranged travel, created expense reports, and directly assisted the Executive VP/CTO.
Legal Intern, Feb 2012 - May 2012
Idaho Legal Aid Services, Inc.; Idaho Falls, ID
- Interpreted for Spanish-speaking clients, conforming to strict confidentiality agreements.
- Determined eligibility for Legal Aid Services, both over the phone and for walk-in clients.
- Assessed the needs and legal issues of new clients by conducting in-take interviews.
- Promoted and scheduled presentations on legal topics for the greater community by coordinating with local non-profit organizations.
Communications & Marketing Associate, Jan 2011 - Dec 2011
Aries Ingeniería y Sistemas; Madrid, Spain
- Responsible for the project lifecycle and the company-wide adoption of Customer Relations Management software. Customized and administrated the open-source program SugarCRM.
- Led internal training sessions to teach SugarCRM in order to facilitate the company-wide software adoption.
- Used Google Analytics to develop a tracking system for the company's online web presence and search engine positioning.
- Created 10 product sheets & catalogues in Spanish and English for international distribution. Translated lay information, technical data, and user manuals.
- Created & distributed 13 international press releases and wrote the official corporate press and marketing content in English for use across all four company divisions.
- Tracked media coverage weekly; provided bi-annual and annual media coverage reports for all company divisions.
Intern, Communications Department, May 2008 - Aug 2008
The Idaho National Laboratory, Battelle Energy Alliance, LLC; Idaho Falls, Idaho
- Communicated complex scientific concepts while giving tours of the nuclear Experimental Breeder Reactor-I National Historical Site.
- Complied with close attention to the security and safety constraints of a remote facility at a large federal nuclear complex.
- Independently created presentations of varying backgrounds and interest levels, to an average of 50 visitors per day.
Speaking & Publications
See my Speaking page for more about my past & upcoming engagements.
The Journal for Undergraduate Ethnography: An Autoethnography of Fuencarral 43, 2012
Peer-reviewed research utilizing semiotic analysis and feminist urban geography. A small plaza in the heart of Madrid, Spain is presented as a case study representing the inequalities women experience through architecture, the spatial ideology of urban geography, as well as through social conditions such as advertising, violence, and the privatization of public space.
"The Adoption of Standard Time" & "How to be a Woman Cartoonist", 2012
Experimental comics in the anthology Hand Job: A Labor of Love, published by Pressing Concern Books.
Web Development, Oct 2013 - Oct 2014
Ada Developers Academy; Seattle, WA
- Ruby on Rails tech stack, including topics such as databases, API use/creation, deployment, and refactoring.
- Worked in teams, pairs, and individually on one to two week project sprints.
- Practiced agile development and simulated project management with tools like PivotalTracker & Trello.
B.A. – Communications & Spanish Language and Literature, 2011
Magna Cum Laude; Saint Louis University, Madrid, Spain
- Dean’s List: Spring 2010, Fall 2010, Spring 2011
- Published in the peer-reviewed Journal for Undergraduate Ethnography, Issue 2, 2012.
University of Idaho, 2006 – 2009
- Dean's List: Spring 2007, Fall 2007
- Study Abroad: Alicante, Spain, 2008 – 2009
Adventure School for Ladies – Comics Intensive, June 2012
An experimental graduate program focusing on media representation of sex, gender, and race in the comics industry. As a team, we created a comics anthology published by Pressing Concern Books, as well as presented our findings at the Chicago Alternative Comics Expo.
Developer & Designer Outreach & Event Organizer, Lesbians Who Tech Seattle, Jan 2016 - Present
Web development & organization for Nordic Model WA, a grassroots conference to support those who have exited prostitution, 2014
Co-President & Co-Founder, Gay-Straight Alliance at St. Louis University, Madrid, Spain, Sept 2010 - May 2011
Asociación Bokatas, Weekly volunteering to feed the homeless in Madrid, 2010 - 2011
UNITY: University of Idaho multicultural student board, Representative, Fall 2007
University of Idaho Women's Center Mentoring Program, 2006 - 2007