Here are a few things I found in testing HTML5 Audio in various browsers and screen readers:
- The controls do work in Safari and Voiceover, they just require more key commands than "space". You have to press Control + Option + Space to toggle playback.
- I had trouble toggling playback in Safari and Chrome with just the keyboard.
- Mobile Safari and Voiceover worked fine.
- Firefox and Edge both work from the keyboard alone
- Firefox and JAWS required two taps of the space key.
- Edge and JAWS did not work at all–probably because of immature accessibility support in the new browser.
- Labeling the audio element with an
aria-labelattribute would help to give the track a title. It won't work in every browser due to accessible name calculation specs, but it's better than none.