This puzzle has 3 parts:
- A i3wm config that opens mutt in a dedicated workspace. $mod+m will switch to this workspace and will launch mutt, if not already running. Actually it doesn't launch mutt, but…
- a small wrapper script, which opens a named pipe and then starts mutt.
- a checkmail script which uses mailcheck(1) to tara check mail. If new mail is available, it blinks the CAPS LOCK led (which I mapped to CTRL anyway) and marks the mutt workspace via a bell.
- set your terminal to mark urgent bells. In Termite the setting is "urgent_on_bell = true".
- adopt you ~/.mailcheckrc to include paths to your mailboxes. In the simplest case it contains just the line "$(HOME)/Maildir/INBOX"