How can ASA convince decision makers about using data?
- Do due diligence (esp. if it is a journalist)
- Make sure that the views characterized are yours are indeed yours.
What advice do you have for students of ASA while preparing for their careers?
- Strive for hands-on experience before going back to getting and advance degree.
- Easier to learn theory when you are motivated by a problem/application to solve.
Who are some of your favorite journalists/writers?
- Bill James
- years ahead of his time
- great communicator
- David **
Why do some journalists resent your work?
- Competition for jobs.
- Competition of cover story of news paper
What are some things statisticians can do to communicate better?
- Start writing blogs to communicate to a broader audience!!
- Add graphics and visualizations to better communicate your ideas.
- Helps detect flaws due to being an insider.
What were some of the most important learning experiences?
- being a debater helped. talk fast. the research.
Data Science vs. Statistics
Are columnists updating priors or are they just biased?