The recent Open Science SE site got shut down by StackExchange folks.
There is another proposal for the same right now http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/90201/open-science.
I am all for that proposal, trying to get
open science going again on SE.
However, an alternative is Discourse, created by Jeff Atwood, etal.
- Atom editor - https://discuss.atom.io/
- Discourse meta - https://meta.discourse.org/
- rOpenSci - https://discuss.ropensci.org/
We could put up our own forum. Benefits:
- We, the people involved in the forum, would run the forum - it can increase in size slowly w/o having to be subject to SE's rules
- It has a lot of the same features of SE (great UI, markdown support, multiple login options, badges), minus voting/points
We would have to pay server costs, but that's minimal for such a potentially big group of people.
If you're not familiar with Discourse, visit one of the links above and peak through some of the discussion threads.
Totally fine if this is shot down - just thinking out loud