10 ways to have a better conversation (by Celeste Headlee)
- Don't multitask (be present, be in that moment)
- Don't pontificate
- Use open-ended questions
- Go with the flow
- If you don't know, say that you don't know
- Don't equate your experience with theirs (it's never the same, all experiences are individual)
- Try not to repeat yourself
- Stay out of the weeds (people don't care about details)
- LISTEN (if your mouth is open, you're not learning)
- Be brief
A. Assume that you have something learn. Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. Everybody is an expert in something.
B. Keep your mouth shut as often as possibly you can. Keep your mind open. Always be prepared to be amazed.