This is a checklist we use @ EURA NOVA to onboard our freshly hired developers. Depending on the developer's experience and skills, the mentor adapt the checklist accordingly
- length: 3 months
- read Welcome Book for development
- mandatory participation in dev workshops and similar
- interact with ad-hoc mentor
- select a project
- track learning process with checklist
Note: if developer is at a client's, mentor should work for the same client if possible.
- work with Gitlab
- development workflow
- project management workflow
- code review
- work with Docker
- on CI
- work with ad-hoc development environment
- editor / IDE
- environment (setup, maintenance, ...)
- learn good communication practices
- EURA NOVA communication tools (Knowledge Plaza, Mattermost, Gitlab, Hangouts, BlueJeans, IRL)
- when to use what?
- how to communicate efficiently?
- be able to tackle a problem
- show teamwork
- take ownership of solutions / understand the responsibility involved in shipping
- produce quality work (EURA NOVA standards of quality)
- use TDD
- use pair programming
- use conventions of language/framework/team
- participate in continuous improvement initiatives (dev workshops, etc.)
- understand our way of working (roughly agile)
Final objective: allow the person to be active on a project from day 1.