Heap dumping a Java process running in AWS ECS
Note: this guide is designed for AWS ECS services, but starting from Step 4 is functionally equivalent to any Docker container on a Linux host.
Step 1. Look up ECS service
- Log into the AWS Console using the appropriate AWS account
- Navigate to AWS ECS service clusters (https://console.aws.amazon.com/ecs/home)
- Make sure you are in the correct region, if not, switch to the correct region (second drop-down menu in top right corner)
- Select the correct cluster (ex: https://console.aws.amazon.com/ecs/home?region=us-east-1#/clusters//services)
- In the Services tab, In the 'Filter in this page' text box, type the name of the service