- Selling the Dream - Guy Kawasaki
- The Business Value of Developer Relations - Mary Thengvall
- Developer Relations: How to build and grow a successful developer program - Caroline Lewko & James Parton
- The Developer Advocacy Handbook - Christian Heilmann
- previously, The Developer Evangelism Handbook (out of print as a book, but available online)
- The Art of Community - Jono Bacon
- People Powered - Jono Bacon
- Buzzing Communities - Richard Millington
- The New Kingmakers - Stephen O'Grady
- Developer, Advocate! - Geertjan Wielenga
- Developer Marketing & Relations The Essential Guide - SlashData
📊 Related - presentation skills reading
📰 Communities / Newsletters / Resources
- Awesome Developer Experience - an Awesome List of Developer Experience resources.
- DevRel Collective - Slack (formerly, EvangelistCollective)
- DeveloperRelations.com from Hoopy.io - weekly email newsletter, blog, good resources.
- These are the folks who run DevRelCon and DevXCon. The videos from those events are available online.
- DevRel Weekly - weekly email newsletter / summary of interesting links, from @mary_grace
- Developer Avocados Weekly
- API Evangelist - Kin Lane's API-centric blog
- The HackDay Manifesto - an Open Source handbook for running hackdays, that I collaborated on.
- Virtual DevRel - videos from the Virtual DevRel meetups, on YouTube
- devevangelist - @theSteve0's repo of resources
devreltag on DEV.to - lots more reading
📝 Classic blog posts
All the bases
- Starting Strong in Developer Relations - a very good and length piece by Alex Trost "Understand your company. Learn your product. Meet your people." - I love this.
- Growing the Next Generation of DevRel - an excellent piece from Lorna Mitchell on growth opportunities in DevRel and beyond.
- Sympathy for the DevRel - James Governor's summary of his closing keynote from DevRelCon London in 2018.
What is it?
- What does a developer evangelist/advocate do? - Christian Heilmann
- Developer Avocados - Mary Thengvall
- The History of Developer Evangelism - Josh Marinacci
- A Developer Relations Bill of Rights - Anil Dash of Glitch
- Planning a Developer Relations Strategy - Matthew Revell of Hoopy
- The Core Competencies of Developer Relations - Reto Meier of Google
- Developer Relations, what is it and how do I get in? (Pursuit Podcast) - Jessica Rose and Bruce Lawson. Also, a very good podcast series in general.
- Introduction to Google Developer Relations - Patrick Chanezon, from back in 2011. P@ hired me to VMware in my first "proper" DevRel role.
🔥 On self-care and burnout
- Understanding burnout (Brandon West)
- Care and feeding of burnout (Jessica Rose)
- Burnout: what happens when you take on too much (Mary Thengvall)
- The Reality of Developer Burnout (Kenneth Reitz)
🔧 Useful tools
- There's an excellent list of tools on the DevRelCollective Awesome DevRel page. i.e. I'm outsourcing this part of the doc... I may add things I think of myself in the future
📄 Twitter lists of interesting people and resources
(note: I no longer recommend the use of Twitter and I no longer use it myself)
I did not build these lists myself, but I've been added to some... here are a few examples, in no particular order. An interesting project might be to aggregate / de-duplicate the list memberships.
- DevRel Society
- Developer Advocates 🥑
- Developer Evangelists
📣 My related content
- Thoughts on DevRel in the post-Twitter era - blog post about being present wherever developers are, 2023
- Adapt & Survive slides and video from DevRelCon Tokyo 2019
- Rebooting a Community slides and video from DevRelCon London 2016
- A Life Less Ordinary? slides and notes below from the London Dev Evangelist meetup
Developing as a Developer video from a StackOverflow careers meetup in Londonno longer available 😢
🥑 Advocate or Evangelist?
I am #TeamAdvocate 😉