- enterprises will inevitably have more data being collected and maintained than their IT departments can keep up with, so business users resort to using spreadsheets or proprietary/incompatible tools.
- hard to share or integrate this data with other systems
- eventually the IT departments have to come in and build on top of or fix these tools (crazy formatting, having to reverse engineer the export)
- there isn't really a great alternative
- access: desktop software, outdated, not multi-user.
- airtable: prioprietary, saas-only and could disappear/pivot.
- salesforce: expensive, proprietary, easy to cross the line where it's very difficult to port (e.g. workflows, notifications).