Instructions for getting a [mostly] static website onto a custom domain, with
https encryption, for [mostly] free. I'm finally writing this down after getting stuck on step 10 way too many times. Godspeed.
- Purchase the top-level domain - gandi.net is my current preferred registrar. Hopefully this will be the only cash you drop in this process.
- Create a new public repository on github.
- Clone the new repo locally and create your site content package, even starting with something as simple as a standalone
- Add a file called
CNAME to the repo, containing only a single line with your just-purchased domain in it. e.g.
- Commit the content to github.
- In the settings --> pages menu of the repository on github.com, point to the correct branch, and enter the domain under "Cu