My team and I are working on rendering text onto the surface of a 3D object.
We need the ability re-render the texture at runtime as the text changes.
Our current approach is to:
- Create a Texture -> textureManager.createTexture()
- Write text onto the texture -> [project-specific code]
- Create a Datablock -> hlmsPbs.createDatablock()
- Set the Texture as the diffuse texture in the datablock -> datablock.setTexture()
- Set the Datablock on an Item for rendering -> item.setDatablock()
Question 1: Is this a sane approach?
Question 2: Is there any sample code for how to correctly call datablock.setTexture()? We are having trouble with this step.
We have successfully rendered text onto a texture, verified by calling image.convertFromTexture(), image.save().
We have successfully used datablock.setDiffuse() to apply a color to an Item, but we have yet to change an Item's texture by calling datablock.setTexture().
FYI: We began our journey by following this OGRE 1.X example: http://wiki.ogre3d.org/HowTo%3A+Write+text+on+texture.
Please let me know if either:
A. Our approach is fundamentally flawed.
B. You need more information on our implementation to identify the particular issue.
Thank you very much!