Prep and cook time: About 40 minutes plus 20 minutes to chill dough.
Notes: Store airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for longer storage.
Makes: 5 dozen cookies
|2 cups||all-purpose flour|
|2 teaspoons||baking soda|
|2 teaspoons||ground ginger|
|1 teaspoon||ground cinnamon|
|½ teaspoon||dry mustard|
|½ teaspoon||ground white pepper|
|½ teaspoon||ground cardamom|
|¼ teaspoon||ground cloves|
|1 cup||firmly packed dark brown sugar|
|3 tablespoons||granulated sugar|
- Mix flour, backing soda, ginger, cinnamon, mustard, pepper, cardamom, cloves and salt.
- In a large bowl, with a mixer on high speed, beat ¾ cup butter with brown sugar until well blended. Add egg and molasses; beat until fluffy.
- Add flour mixture. Beat on low speed to blend, then on medium speed until well mixed.
- Divide dough in half, shape each half into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and pat into a flat cake. Freeze about 20 minutes, or chill 1 to 2 hours until firm.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll to coat with granulated sugar, and set at least 2 inches apart on buttered baking sheets.
- Bake cookies in a 350° F oven until slightly darker brown on the bottom, about 10 minutes (if using 1 oven switch pan positions after 5 minutes.).
- Cool on pan about 5 minutes, then transfer cookies to racks to cool. Serve, or store airtight.