Situation, Behaviour, Impact
Goal: provide context.
- Who was there?
- Where was it?
- When was it?
Goal: recognise what they did or didn't do.
- What did they do that should be continued or changed?
- What was the behaviour that occurred?
Goal: understand the importance of feedback.
- How did it effect them, you, the team or the company?
Key Take-Aways to keep in mind
- Avoid common biases: Let's check our biases (Negative, Halo, and Similarity) at the door. Reviews should be fair and impartial.
- Keep feedback objective and focused on the big picture: Relate feedback to the overall expectations of the position by using SBI; situation, behavior, impact.
- Partner with your HRBP or manager: Don't go at it alone! Schedule time with me or your manager if you need help with talking points, addressing feedback, or you just need to bounce your thoughts off someone.