Presenting / Streaming notes
Personal notes on presenting and streaming.
- Turn off un-needed software. Especially things with notifications: Slack, Skype, Teams, etc.
- Turn on Focus Assist
- When sharing your desktop, consider sharing a secondary screen rather than the primary screen. Many apps will post notifications to the primary screen so this will help cut down on accidently sharing out notifications.
- Hide desktop icons
- Consider resolution/DPI. Remember that for streaming, people watching may be on lower resolutions; don't stream above 1080p.
- Hide task bar. Either set auto hide, or simply crop the shared section of your screen to omit it.
- Consider if desktop background is appropriate.
- Increase font size, or zoom on relevant applications. Browsers, VS, VS Code, GitKraken, etc.
- Use a separate desktop.
- Set color themes on software and web sites that support it. Dark theme is fine for streaming, but Light theme should be used when there is a projector on a white background.
- Hide bookmarks bar in browsers (Ctrl+Shift+B)
- Start any demos and have them ready.
- Mute speakers or use headphones.
- Test microphone
- Start needed utilities (Zoomit, OBS, Carnac, etc)
- Check Windows Updates to see if it will be requesting a reboot. Reboot if needed.
- Ensure opening is well rehearshed.
- Slow down. Be concious of the rate you talk while nervous.
- If there will be a Q/A time, have first question prepared.
- PowerPoint likes to go into Presenter mode rather than screen duplication. This can be problematic when switching out to other software. If it is not needed, turn it off
- PowerPoint: exit presenter mode with Escape. Restart with Shift-F5
- Avoid motion gifs unless they add value. The extra movement can be very distracting.
- NEVER use wifi. It is almost never stable enough, even if it is fast enough.
- Setup countdown timer. https://github.com/Keboo/LiveFile
- Have a clear agenda. People want to quickly know what the plan is and where we are going.
- Work through problems outloud. Be verbose in speech.
- Have conversations and be engaging. This is more important than getting stuff done.
- On many meeting programs, videos may not stream as nicely for viewers.
- Ensure stream titles, and categories are appropriately set for each target platform.
- When screen sharing, consider using a secondary screen as many notifications will favor the primary screen.
- Popup Text Width: 350
- Popup Opacity: 0.65
- Popup Fade Delay: 4
- Font Size: 20
- Check Box for: Only keys with Modifiers