OpenVPN .ovpn manipulation.
This is how you can take an OpenVPN .ovpn config file and extract the certificates/keys required to import the profile into NetworkManager.
- Download the .ovpn file. Save it somewhere you can store it permanently (I use ~/.vpn).
- Copy from between <ca> tags into ca.crt, remove <ca> tags.
- Copy from between <cert> tags into client.crt, remove <cert> tags.
- Copy from between <key> tags into client.key, remove <key> tags.
- Copy from between <tls-auth> tags into ta.key, remove <tls-auth> tags.
- Remove the line "key-direction 1"
- Above "# -----BEGIN RSA SIGNATURE-----" insert the following lines.
- ca ca.crt
- cert client.crt
- key client.key
- tls-auth ta.key 1
- Import the .ovpn file into NetworkManager and save the profile.
I actually tracked down the openssl code to find out exactly how it likes these files:
the last line MUST meet these rules:
The problem: I was missing 1 single '-' at the end of the file!!