How to Download iOS Simulator (Xcode) in Command Line and Install it
For faster connection speed and more flexibility.
- Start Xcode in command line by running this in commandline
- Start downloading of the simulator
- Cancel it. YES CANCEL IT!
- You will get a message like this:
2015-11-23 17:10:01.906 Xcode[30803:2505495] DVTDownloadable: Download Cancelled. Downloadable: https://devimages.apple.com.edgekey.net/downloads/xcode/simulators/com.apple.pkg.iPhoneSimulatorSDK8_3-220.127.116.118621365.dmg.
- Quit Xcode
- Use your favorite download tool with the link in that message in step 3
- This is what I use: (5 concurrent connection)
aria2c -x 5 link_to_the_file
- Have Fun!
Wait! How can I install this?
By moving the file to
- You can use Finder by
- Or just
mv file ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.dt.Xcode/Downloads
And open the
Downloads tab in Xcode's Preferences,
- the progress bar of the item you just download should be 80% filled
- you should be able to click that download button to install the file
Why did I need it?
I am in China right now and when downloading in Xcode(no concurrent downloading), the download speed sucks!
I would like to use
aria2 to speed up the downloading process of the simulator(s).
How slow was the connect using Xcode and how fast was it when using
- Xcode: 150KB -> 300KB
aria2: 2.7MB (consistenly), which is the maximum downloading speed of my cable
- Concurrent connections
- Resuming unfinished downloads
- https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/51550#52580 where I found out