Course Level Objectives for MTH 225 (Discrete Structure for Computer Science 1)
- Compute basic numerical and symbolic expressions involving numbers in different bases, modular arithmetic, sets, functions, and symbolic logic.
- Solve complex counting problems using computational thinking and the tools of combinatorics.
- Formulate computational problems in terms of sets, functions, logic, and combinatorics.
- Write clear, correct, and convincing arguments to explain the correctness of a solution using combinatorial proof and mathematical induction.
- Apply effective problem-solving skills in solving computational problems.
- Explain methods and solutions of computational problems in a clear way to a specified target audience.
- Demonstrate fluency in applying computer programming in the formulation and solutions of mathematical problems.
- Assess one's own work in mathematical problem solving and apply feedback to make improvements to one's own work