IoT Hackathon 2019
AdaFruit Hardware Installation
Hardware + What to Install
In addition to the Microsoft Azure Sphere, we also have hardware available from Adafruit (hardware list).
You will need to install the Arduino IDE to program the device. Depending on your operating system, you may require drivers for the Feather HUZZAH. Follow the instructions here to install drivers and run the Blink Test and the Connecting via WiFi to make sure your system and WiFi are set up correctly.
These instructions largely follow https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-feather-huzzah-esp8266/using-arduino-ide You can find more details and screenshots there.
- Install the CP2104 VCP Drivers (not necessary for Linux): https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers
- Install the Arduino IDE here!: https://arduino.cc/download
- Add ESP8266 boards
- There's a text box under "Preferences > Additional Board Manager URLs". In the text box, enter http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json
- Tools -> Board -> Board Manager – Search for ESP8266, then click the Install button.
- Run Blink Code
- File > Examples > ESP8266 > Blink
- Click Verify (If you don’t have a device)
- Click Upload (If you do have a device)
Adafruit has several setup tutorials, videos, and articles available to help you familiarize yourself with the platform.