Systers Portal - GSoC 18' Final Report
Systers Portal is a portal for Systers communities which enables them to post and share information within and with other communities and schedule events.The primary goal of Portal is to enable users to be able to schedule and participate in meetups to accomplish tasks in collaboration with each other. It has also provisions for voluntarily supporting and sponsoring meetups as well as requesting for new communities.
- Mentors - Yatna Verma, Poojitha Nandigam
- Admin - Prachi Manchanda
- geopy & gdal
Upgrading UI in accordance with AnitaB.org branding guidelines.
Creating API to communicate with VMS - PR Link
Writing tests for the API - PR Link
Solving browse button issue - PR Link
Adding search options for meetups - PR Link
Adding filter options for meetups - PR Link
Writing tests for the search and filter options - PR Link
Enabling Signup via Facebook, Twitter , Github ang Google - PR Link
Sending email-notifications for various community actions to concerned members - PR Link
Writing tests for the notifications - PR Link
Adding the End Date field and ID field to meetups and sent them along with description via the API - PR Link
Enabling multiple day meetup scheduling - PR Link
Introductory Blog First Coding Week Second Coding Week Third Coding Week Fourth Coding Week Fifth Coding Week Sixth Coding Week Seventh Coding Week Eighth Coding Week Ninth Coding Week Tenth Coding Week Eleventh Coding Week Twelfth Coding Week
- wasn’t familiar with testing before.
- wasn’t accustomed to the style checks
- wasn’t acquainted with such proper contribution rules.
- wasn’t ever such punctual with deadlines while contributing before.
- was my first time with blogs.
- wasn’t good at skribbl played in the happy hour.
Future Development Opportunities
- an app for Portal can be made.
- scheduling multiple day meetups with different times for each.
- gist of hosted meetups can be added to benefit non-attendees.
- Subscribe feature for users to notify them instantly about events.
- analysing member behaviour by judging comments in discussion area through Machine Learning.
- learned testing.
- gained more familiarity with django libraries like rest framework, gdal and geopy.
- learned how to structure a project code properly.
- learned to write a blog.
- learned about pinax notifications.
- got acquainted with open source principles.
- learnt to be punctual by constantly catering to deadlines.