Benjamin P. Keating
Designer & Developer
phone: (510) 387-4875
To create as much as possble with a deep passion and understanding of user experience and user interface design. To leverage neaural networks and realize amazing teams.
- 23 years experience in graphic design and user experience
- Advanced user of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Sketch, Figma, Webflow
- Knowledgeable in CAD, 3D modeling, 3D printing, and Plastic molding
- Deep understanding of both Django and Svelte web frameworks.
- Additional languages: PHP, Perl, Ruby, Java, C, C++, Swift, Processing
- Mostly git. Some subversion. I adhere to version control best practices.
- Designed and administered databases in MySQL, PostgresQL and, MongoDB. Successfully wrangled a broken Zope db once...
- Agile dev practices fully embraced. Can use JIRA blindfolded.
- 18 years experience administering and tuning BSD and GNU/Linux systems
- Can automate system and service tasks through shell scripting (bash, csh)
- Familiar with installing, maintaining and, troubleshooting most mail services
- Virtual Machine and Container virtualization setup and management (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Administered DNS services, network security and, file sharing services (BIND, djbdns, pf, iptables, SMB, AFP, NFS, YP/NIS, Vinum)
- Service Monitoring (SNMP, MRTG, Nagios, Cacti, CloudWatch)
- Setup and recovery of both software and hardware RAID systems
- Skillful in circuit soldering, construction and, troubleshooting. Saved the server room this one time by fixing the AC unit.
- Some successful hardware forensics and data recovery experience.
- I think and design in twelve-factor.
The American Spreadsheet Company
Designer & Developer, CEO, Founder, 02019-Present
- ... work in progress! (:
Sr. Software Engineer / UX Engineer, 02019-Present
- Acheived AWS Cloud certification
- Worked with, and on NM's internal design system
- Lead design and engineering ideation sessions, providing group activities and collective-feedback.
- Designer & developer of a professional athletic platform; ProQuo
- Designed and built several event-based websites for scheduling and collaboration
- Enough knowlege in Machine Learning to think in-features
- Worked in a new mixture of tools: Azure AD, CyberArk, Confluence, Hasura...
- Lead design and engineering ideation sessions, providing group activities abd leading group design process.
RP Nutrients, Inc.
Designer / Developer, 02015-02019
- Frontend development using React, RxJS, GraphQL
- Designed, branded and, developed Milker; next generation dairy farm automation software
- Designed and developed Laboratory Information Database Management software written in in Python, Django, jQuery, React and, PostgresQL
The Long Now Foundation
Designer / Developer, 02003-02015
- Designed and developed most all web services related to Long Now
- Designed and branded events (posters, postcards, custom web designs)
- Developed the software that The Interval’s ‘Brickstarter’ campaign ran on
- Administered all digital services and systems both on-site and co-lo
- Designed and developed the software that Warren Buffet placed his million dollar bet on
- Created a TEDx theme for TEDxDeExtinction, adhering to TEDx style guidelines
- Created online Membership program (signup and member-only sections) before recurring billing was commonplace
- Became primary developer and maintainer of an open-source package for PayPal’s PayFlowPro service written in Python
- Managed A/V for Seminar series (02003-02006), post production and distribution of media
- Produced Kindle and ePub formatted eBooks for Amazon’s bookstore
- Integrated with several REST API's including Stipe Payments, PayPal
- Integrated with many of AWS’s services (S3, EC2, RDS, CloudFront, CloudWatch, Route53, Elastic Transcoder)
- Worked closely with Amazon Payments team on custom "$10k button" payment solutions
- Responsible for keeping the digital archive of the worlds languages safe by managing it's file services and backups.
- Working closely with Stanford University as one of our long-term backup partners for The Rosetta Project
Nature’s Classroom Institute and Montessori School
Designer / Developer, 02016-02018
- Created multi-regional field trip management software
- Worked within HIPPA compliant development best practices
- Redesigned website and refreshed existing branding
- Managed several fundraisers and digital marketing campaigns (design, communications and, app development)
- Created customizable form framework for a variety of use cases
- Designed and developed event ticketing system
East Troy Area Chamber of Commerce
- Designed and built easttroy.org, visiteasttroy.org and East Troy's community Status Board project
- Created the Village of East Troy logo/brand. Cited on signage, municipal vehicles, water tower and more
- Created the Police badge for the Village of East Troy Police Department
Developer, Sysadmin Administrator, 02007-02013
- Primary sysadmin for all of Kevin’s web sites including Cool Tools, Quantified Self, The Technium and, kk.org
- Helped collect and manage artwork resources for the Silver Cord project
- Developed web forms for various submissions and campaigns (Django, MySQL)
Golden Gate Restaurant Association
Designer / Developer, 02008-02010
- Managed DNS, email and file sharing services
- Designed and built ggra.org and eatdrink-sf.com
- Built online membership system w/payment integrations
- Co-designed SFChefs events with Visa Signature design group
- Designed ad campaign that was published across multiple subway station platforms
Shoulder High Productions, LLC.
Designer / Developer, 02007-02010
- Logo and branding
- Hosting and administration of web, mail, dns, file servers
- Built custom web forms for video production equipment and service rental
- Designed and developed several media-rich web sites (Django, MySQL)
Applied Minds, Inc.
System Administrator, 02004-02005
- Cleaned/refactored pile of servers into a proper rack configuration
- Administered GNU/Linux systems running Apache, MySQL, Zope and custom Perl resources
Vector Industries, Inc.
Programmer, System Administrator, 02000-02003
- Built an inventory / sales management interface in PHP and MySQL
- Designed and developed company web site and product brochures
- Administered office computers and on-premise server rack
- Created the East Troy Computer Club. Grew the community to 400+ members, building relationships with the local school districts and governments. Initiating transparency projects, educational workshops and mentorships over 5+ years of activity.
- Hosted many charity and fundraiser events, providing full-service Audio and Video solutions, marketing and graphic design, ticketing management, payment and fulfillment. In most cases, providing custom solutions.
- I'll never turn down a senior citizen needing tech help.