The Ultimate Guide to Troubleshooting AltStore
Having issues with AltStore? This is the right place for you.
Wi-Fi Sideloading/Refreshing Is Not Working
Check that your Mac or PC and your device are connected to the same network.
Check that iTunes/Finder Wi-Fi Sync is turned on.
- Plug in your device to your computer.
- Launch iTunes (or Finder on Catalina and later).
- Select your device in the sidebar or top bar.
- Scroll down and look for "Sync with this iDevice over Wi-Fi". Check the box.
- Hit Apply in the bottom right.
- Check that AltStore is sideloading/refreshing over Wi-Fi by unplugging your device from your computer.
Check that the required helper apps and dependencies are running on the computer.
- On a Mac, check that AltServer and the Mail app are running. On a PC, check that AltServer and the iCloud app are running, and that Bonjour is installed.
- Restart each of those apps.
- If the problem persists, restart your Mac or PC.
Check that AltServer is broadcasting over Bonjour to your device.
- Download this app on your device. It will allow you to browse Bonjour services on your network.
- Check for
_altserver._tcp.in the list. If it appears, tap it. It should display your Mac or PC's name.
- If you see this, then AltServer is running and should be working properly. If not, try troubleshooting with the above methods.
Check that you are not on a school or work network.
- These networks are usually spread across multiple networks, which can cause issues with Bonjour and trying to refresh over Wi-Fi.
If all else fails, you can always plug your phone directly into your computer via USB, and sideload/refresh. Of course, this is not as convenient as Wi-Fi sideloading/refreshing, but it can get the job done and is usually more reliable.
Cannot Install New Apps
Check that you have App IDs available.
- Open the AltStore app on your device.
- Go to My Apps.
- Check that you have App IDs remaining.
- If you have 0 App IDs remaining, you need to wait 1 week for any unused App IDs to expire.
Check that you have no offloaded apps.
- Go to Settings > iTunes & App Stores > Turn off "Offload Unused Apps".
- Go to your device's home screen, and check for apps that have a cloud icon next to them.
- If you find any with cloud icons, delete them, or tap them to reinstall them. Any data for them will be lost if you delete them.
- Try installing a new app with AltStore.
Check that you are not using the same Apple ID for multiple devices with AltStore.