Chromecast always uses Google's DNS servers so you can't just change DNS server on your local network, you have to redirect all DNS requests to another server. This guide will help you do so with a OS X computer and a phone.
Requirements for this guide:
- Phone with tethering
- OS X >=10.9
- unblock-us.com or another DNS resolver
- Tethering your computer through your phone, eg. connect to your wifi, and tether with USB.
- Change the DNS setting on your computer for the tethered connection to unblock-us.com's.
/etc/pf.anchors/redirectdns(see below), where en3 is the internet connection (your phone), and 126.96.36.199 is unblock-us.com DNS servers.
/etc/pf.conf, as shown below.
sudo pfctl -vf /etc/pf.confto apply.
- Enable Internet sharing in OS X, share the tethering connection over Wifi.
- Setup your Chromecast to connect to your computer's wifi.
- Goto netflix.com on your computer and choose a movie, choose "Show on Chromecast".