Working with Conda
First, some nomenclature (see https://conda.io/docs/glossary.html for more):
- A recipe is a flat directory that has the information needed to build a package
- A package is a "compressed file that contains everything that a software program needs in order to be installed and run... You manage conda packages with conda."
- An environment is a "directory that contains a specific collection of conda packages and their dependencies, so they can be maintained and run separately without interference from each other."
A typical workflow:
- write a recipe, eg https://conda.io/docs/user-guide/tutorials/build-pkgs.html
conda build -n mytool .to build the package from the recipe
- You could at this point upload the package to anaconda.org with
- Create an environment with
- Install the package into the environment with
conda install. If you are installing a locally built package, use
conda install --use-local.
- Activate the environment