LAW ON NATIONAL HOLIDAYS AND GENERAL HOLIDAYS
Article 1 - October 29, when the Republic was proclaimed in 1923, is a National Day. Its name alone made it ceremonial today inside and outside of the State of Turkey. The holiday starts from 13:00 on October 28th and lasts through October 29th
Article 2 - The following official and religious holidays and New Year's Day, May 1 and July 15 are general holidays.(2)
A) Official holidays are as follows:
- (Amended: 20/4/1983 - 2818 art. 1) April 23 is the National Sovereignty and Children's Day.
- May 19 is the Commemoration of Atatürk and the Youth and Sports Day.
- August 30 is Victory Day.
B) Religious holidays are as follows:
- Ramadan Feast; it starts on the previous evening and lasts 3.5 days from 13:00.
- Sacrifice Feast; it starts on the previous evening and lasts 4.5 days after 13:00
C) (Amended: 25/10/2016 - 6752 art. 2) January 1 is the New Year holiday, May 1 is Labor and Solidarity Day, and July 15 is the Day of Democracy and National Unity.
D) (Amended: 20/4/1983 - 2818 art. 1) National, official and religious holidays, New Year's Day, May 1 and July 15, public offices and institutions must be closed.(1)(2)
When the holiday ends on a Friday evening, the following Saturday is a whole holiday.
The provisions of the special laws for organizations that are required by law to work permanently are reserved.
Private workplaces must be closed on October 29.
Article 3 - A) Weekend is on Sunday. This holiday starts from 13.00 on Saturday at the latest, and lasts no less than 35 hours.
B) The provisions regarding week holidays in the Weekend Law No. 394, Civil Servants Law No. 657, Turkish Armed Forces Personnel Law No. 926, Labor Law No. 1475 and other laws are reserved.
C) The provisions of the Week Holiday Law on Saturday do not apply to shops and chains dedicated to meet essential needs such as eating, drinking and clothing.
Article 4 - The ceremonies to be held on national and official holidays are to be regulated by a ordonance to be prepared jointly by the Ministry of Culture. This ordonance is to be published within three months at the latest from the effective date of the Law.
Article 5 - The Law on National Holidays and General Holidays dated 27/5/1935 and numbered 2739 and the laws amending this Law have been repealed.
Provisional Article 1 - (Amended: 8/12/1999 - 4500 art. 1)
December 31, 1999 is a full-day public holiday.
The provisions of the special laws of the organizations that are required to work continuously by their nature are reserved.
Article 6 - This Law enters into force on the date of its publication.
Article 7 - The provisions of this Law are executed by the Council of Ministers.
PROVISIONS NOT PROVIDED IN THE MAIN LAW NO.2429 DATED 17/3/1981
1 - Provisional article of Law No. 5892 of 22/4/2009:
Provisional Article 1 - The works and transactions decided to be done by public institutions and organizations on May 1, 2009 can be carried out. Public institutions and organizations have to take the necessary measures to carry out these works and transactions.
(1) To this paragraph; With the article 1 of the Law No. 5892 dated 22/4/2009, the phrase “and the 1st of May” was added to come after the words “New Year's Day” and entered in the text.
(2) With Article 2 of the Law No. 6752 dated 25/10/2016, the phrases "and on May 1" in the first paragraph of this article have been changed to "on May 1 and July 15".