Senior Platform Engineer
Send questions, resumes, referrals, etc. to email@example.com.
The Senior Platform Engineer will be part of a group of advanced technologists building a next-generation computing platform, providing assistance and input to other developers, architects and system administrators. He or she will develop internal services, APIs, tools, and user interfaces as well as researching new trends in software design, development tools and operational techniques to maximize our performance and ability to deliver new features to customers and partners.
The tools and services developed by this position will be used by all major products and divisions of The Weather Channel - weather.com, wunderground.com, mobile apps, professional services, etc.
- Experience designing and developing highly available, distributed systems.
- Extensive understanding of all levels of application stack - browser, CDN, load balancer, application server, JVM, network, database, etc.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services. Experience with other cloud computer providers such as Rackspace, Google, etc. are a plus.
- Experience in automation, operations, and dashboard libraries such as bash, Puppet, statsd, Graphite, Logstash, Tasseo, Dashing, and D3.js.
- Comfortable with low-level APIs such as Amazon EC2 API and higher-level abstractions such as Boto and Fog.
- Experience with software testing methodologies, code quality practices, continuous integration, and continuous deployment.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills with the ability to relate with sensitivity to the unique needs and problems of a 24-hour operation with critical deadlines.
- A self starter who is comfortable picking up and learning new technologies, software libraries, and development frameworks in a short amount of time.
- Thrives in a highly distributed, fast paced, self starter work environment.
- Works with minimal supervision and able to guide and supervise others.
- Works well with remote and distributed teams.