Outline for curriculum design using design thinking
Welcome (1 min)
Introductions (10 mins)
Student profile (4 mins)
Key skills brainstorming exercise (20 mins)
- Short background
- One thing you enjoy about teaching
Sequencing (20 mins)
- Take 2 minutes and write out some key skills that students will need based on your experience, not worrying about level or how they would be taught. We’ll get to that later.
- Facilitated discussion: (15 mins)
- Of the things you wrote down, what do you think is the most important skill? Why?
- What else is important that you have written down?
- Is there anything else we’ve missed?
- Wrap-up and summarization (3 mins)
Wrap-up (5 mins)
- Now that we’ve articulated the key skills that students will need, I’d like to think about an ordering that makes sense, and here we’re going to “bucket” them slightly. What are the key skills that need to come first as far as foundational concepts that support the others?
- What skills build on this foundation and are best introduced a little later in the process?
- What skills help round out the students?
- What are the good break points between these skills? Do they clump somehow?
Thank you again!
- Thank you so much for your help with this project, giving your input.
- The next steps are to identify who’s interested and available to help develop the classes as well as those available to teach. I’ll be sending out a Google Form to collect that information and we can go from there