- Pairing an iOS device to a host (computer running iTunes) gives that host significant access to data on the iOS device and requires connecting the unlocked iOS device to a host over USB
- Once paired, that host (or another host that has stolen its pairing record) can access significant amounts of user personal data from the iOS device over USB and Wi-Fi through the com.apple.mobile.file_relay and com.apple.mobile.house_arrest lockdown services
- These services will not return user data files that are encrypted and locked by iOS Data Protection but the files returned by file_relay are not protected by iOS Data Protection and do include significant amounts of personal user data that would otherwise be encrypted in iTunes encrypted backups ("Encrypt Backup" is enabled)
- The com.apple.mobile.file_relay service is not used or referenced by any public Apple software so its intended client software is unknown outside of Apple
- Apple released a [Knowledge Base article](https://support.apple.co
Press h to open a hovercard with more details.