Some Friendly Advice for Data Curators
From Dorothea Salo at the Digital Humanities Winter Institute Data Curation Seminar ... shamelessly quoted hopefully not too much out of context by a student (Ed Summers).
- Pick software last.
- Don't chase the shiny.
- Know where the exits are (especially in the cloud).
- Keep your options open.
- What problems can you make someone else's problem?
- Does the software support changes, additions, deletions?
- Biggest danger to digital preservation is apathy.
- Graduate students are not the answer to your problem.
- Know what you are doing when you experiment.