Why Rails scaffold doesn't work
The need to write a replacment of the Rails scaffold was because the build in one in Ruby on Rails
- Does not support namespaces on the controllers and the models it generates funny paths in the views and/or controllers
- The native way to extend the Rails scaffold was changed frequently I have to spent hours tracing github issues
- It uses the ugly scaffold.css and it generates it all the time breaking my styles
- Does some freaky copy/paste optimizations in the controller to get the model. Scaffold should be a starting point from where with few deletes or adding few lines of codes to make a usable screen.
The new aproach
With scaffold_pico you can create your own pretty administration in a second.
- No learning curve - if you know Rails you know it.
- No 3rd party gems slowing your development/production startup times.
- Clean code
- Supports namespaces in the models and the controllers
There is also some sugar. With the pico_scaffold you can generate from the begining fabricators and take care of N+1 by specifying joins/includes clauses. There is separation of the fields for index and editing. There is a search - almost every screen nowdays has search.
Supports Zurb Foundation, Materializecss CSS frameworks