Third Party Authentication Features in Open edX: Technical Knowledge Transfer
Part 1: Background / Notes
- Open edX has full, integrated support for three different types of third party auth provider:
- OAuth based providers (OAuth2 and the older OAuth v1). Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Azure Active Directory are available by default. Any other OAuth backends supported by python-social-auth v0.2.12 can be enabled by changing a configuration setting. Contributed by Google (John Cox).
- SAML / Shibboleth. SAML is an SSO standard mostly used by universities and corporations. Shibboleth is the name of a particular implementation of SAML, commonly used by higher ed. institutions.
- LTI. Users can use Learning Tools Interoperability® (LTI®) to authenticate. Support for this was contributed by UBC.
- The Open edX platform also includes limited support for the following SSO providers.