Basic macaron shell recipe
- This will make approximately 100 shells, or about 4 dozen cookies
- When practicing, I generally half this recipe to only make 1 sheet of cookies
- When making macarons, you will generally flavor the filling but not the shells
- You want to make the macarons the day before the event. You will store them in the refrigerator over night, and then take them out a few hours before to come to room temperature. This is because macarons are best when "ripened", or allowed to sit for at least one night and have the filling seep into the shells a bit. Otherwise, straight out of the oven, they can be too crunchy or hard
- Macarons shells freeze well! Filled macarons can also freeze well depending on the filling. Buttercream fillings freeze great. Put the cookies into an airtight container before freezing
- Everyones baking temperature and baking time vary depending on their oven - you might have to experiment a bit!
- _I always separate egg whites myself by cracking the egg, p