Fix for installing MediaTek USB(RT2870/RT2770/RT3X7X/RT537X) driver in OS X Mavericks
Absolutely no warranties! Proceed at your own risk!
Download driver from here: http://www.mediatek.com/_en/07_downloads/01_windows.php?sn=502
You will need Pacifist: http://www.charlessoft.com
- Ensure your USB Wireless adapter is disconnected and reboot.
- Mount RTUSB D2870-184.108.40.206 UI-220.127.116.11_2012_09_28-2.dmg
- Run the USBWireless-Uninstall.pkg and reboot.
- Open USBWireless-Install.pkg
- Click "Package Contents" then select "Contents of rt2870resources.pkg".
- Click Extract To.. and select your hard disk (which correlates to / ) and click "Choose".
- Check "Use Administrator Privileges" and then click "Extract", entering your administrator password when prompted.
- Open Terminal.app and type: cd /; sudo mv /USBWireless-Install\ Folder /RT2870Resources
- Download the file below, "postinstall", to /RT2870Resources
- In Terminal.app type: chmod a+x /RT2870Resources/postinstall sudo /RT2870Resources/postinstall
- It will take a few minutes for the script to finish running.
- When done shutdown, plug in your USB Wireless adapter, and start back up.
- Your adapter should be active and the Ralink menu should now be in the tool bar and selection "Open Wireless Utility" should now work.
- Configure and done.
Note: I have noticed that in Mavericks the Mountain Lion driver is a bit touchy. You should shutdown your computer before disconnecting from USB, otherwise a sudden kernel panic could follow.