How to get the vote out for Democrats!
I'm busy, mildly overwhelmed and confused, and want to help, I think? What should I do right now?!
Skip this whole document and...
- donate here: https://votesaveamerica.com/donate
- explore volunteer opportunities here: https://thelastweekend.org/
For more info and options, read on...
What's the goal?
We need to reach as many voters as possible to inform them that the election is happening, who the Democrat candidate is, and what's at stake. Direct contact puts a human face to the process of voting and to the issues. All these methods have been proven to work to turn out more voters.
Doesn't everyone already know about the election?
No, some people don't know! Not everyone pays attention to the news. Some people have 2 or 3 jobs!
Haven't people who have paid a little attention already know who the candidates are and have made up their minds?
Not always! People are vaguely aware of things, but they view it from a distance as a horse race, a spectacle. Reaching out to them pulls them in and makes them feel involved and feel like they have influence.
Even if we can flip a handful of voters, isn't that a drop in the bucket compared to who is already voting?
Short answer: Every vote counts! The entire VA legislature was lost to Republicans by ONE VOTE in 2017!
Long answer: All those drops in the bucket add up! When we canvas, do phone calls, or text, we are reaching out to voters and gaining some votes, and we are also collecting data for the campaign to use later for various purposes, such as deciding whom to reach out to via phone on election day to remind them to vote.
How much effort does it take?
- You can volunteer for 30 minutes/week or 10 hours/week
- You can donate $5 or $5,000
- Do something! Don't do nothing!
ways to volunteer
- Canvassing: Walk door to door, inform people about the election and the candidate. You meet a spectrum of Americans and make a difference — it's fun! There is very little confrontation, and many people are grateful to have a face-to-face conversation with someone who cares. It's really life-changing and productive. The campaign has different goals for the canvass day-to-day. You will get a quick training and you will be partnered with an experienced person.
- Phone banking: Make phone calls, using an app. Your phone number is not involved. Similar goals as above.
- Text banking: Send Text messages, using an app. Your phone number is not involved. Similar goals as above.
How to find volunteer opportunities
- https://multiplyyourvote.org/ - Julia Louis Dreyfus!
- https://votesaveamerica.com/donate recently picked 11 races where the donation will have the most impact. from the Pod Save America folks
- https://www.futurenow.org/ support various artisinal hand-picked local candidates. in upper right click "about" to see the candidates, "donate" to donate.
- https://flippable.org/act-now/ flippable state House and Senate districts. Click "donate" to donate to all.
- https://swingleft.org/district-funds flippable US House districts - pick your favorite(s) or a random one.
- https://redtoblue.dccc.org/ flippable US House districts. Click "support all candidates" or pick your favorite(s). warning: sadly, the DCCC will give your email address to every single campaign and you will get 10+ emails a day!
- https://www.dlcc.org/ - state
Multi-function Guides/Resources. They are fun! Do them all!
- https://www.aclu.org/voter/polling-place/ - really slick and informative!
- 50% off Lyft rides to the polls! https://www.buzzfeed.com/pollup2018/welcome-to-pollup2018
- Registration, absentee ballots, reminders, etc: https://www.vote.org/
- Register people to vote at concerts: https://www.headcount.org
- Get a ride to the polls: https://carpoolvote.com/
- If you have questions or see problems at the polls text OUR VOTE to 97779 and you will be connected to a trained nonpartisan Election Protection volunteer. More details at 866ourvote.org.
More! / not 2018-specific
- canvassing if you live in NYC - great group of folks! I'm doing this Saturday–Tuesday: https://www.knockfornine.com/
- Gamify registration, voting, etc. in a team. In Alpha! only for the truly democracy obsessed. Join the team I'm on, "Texas Rock" https://www.motivote.us/
- Volunteer with https://momsdemandaction.org/. They have been passing gun laws at the state level for years. They are inspiring and amazing.
- Text GUNSENSE to 644-33
- (this campaign is over now for 2018) Print and customize physical letters and mail them. Shown to increase turnout by 3.4%!! https://votefwd.org/
- give money to Susan Collins's future 2020 opponent. lulz. bye felicia
- new "deep canvassing" approach -- I don't know much about it yet but it seems pretty sweet? https://www.ctctogether.org/ WNYC story
Thanks for reading! — John