Boot SuperDuper! backup in VMWare Fusion
It's quite strange that VMWare doesn't expose this feature in the UI directly, but fortunately enough it's pretty easy to do.
- Create a new custom virtual machine with macOS 10.14 as guest
- Quit VMWare after creating the virtual machine
- Change into the virtual machine folder
- Connect your external harddrive with your SuperDuper! bootable backup
diskutil listto figure out which device number your harddrive was assigned
- Create a raw disk using the vmware-rawDiskCreator tool which is linked to the external harddrive:
/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-rawdiskCreator create /dev/disk<deviceNr> fullDevice ./external-link lsilogic
- Edit your
<name>.vmxfile and replace the line starting with
sata0:0.fileName = "external-link.vmdk"
- Save the file
- Open VMWare and start your virtual machine.
TADA!! You can now boot your backup