After upgrading to OSX Lion, I discovered that both PEAR and PECL had gone missing. It turns out that you have to re-install them, but luckily it's quite simple. I found this quick guide from Ruggero De Pellegrini on Google+, and thought I would share the info to save you the confusion:
- Download the installer curl http://pear.php.net/go-pear.phar > go-pear.php
- Start the installation procedure with sudo sudo php -q go-pear.php
- Select a new installation base ($prefix) e.g. /usr/local
- Proceed with the install.
- If there is no /etc/php.ini file yet, copy the default sudo cp /etc/php.ini.default /etc/php.ini
- Edit /etc/php.ini and change the line ;include_path = ".:/php/includes" to include_path = ".:/usr/local/share/pear"
- Add /usr/local/bin/ to your path if you haven't already, e.g. in .profile