NFT Thoughts, Essays, Writings
I'm collecting here a few essays on the net about tokenization in the art world. This list is likely biased and by no means exhaustive.
- Not Another JPG by M Plummer-Fernández (April 09, 2021)
- What does it mean to buy a GIF? by Jack Rusher (March 20, 2021)
- Podcast: Skepticism & Optimism around art NFTs (June 2, 2021)
- Token Gesture by Tina Rivers Ryan (May, 2021)
- Podcast: Two Art Historians Discuss NFTs, Part 2 (July 13, 2021)
- Custodianship, Copyright, and Provenance: on the non-monetary value of NFTs by Nathaniel Stern (October, 2021)
Please let me know if you find further resources.
my own writings
I've also written about the subject in the following posts:
- Hicetnunc and the Merits of Web3 (November, 2021)
- Why the distributed ledger? (January, 2022)
- ERC-721 - technical underpinnings of NFTs (January, 2022)
- On crypto art and NFTs (January, 2022)
I also recommend listening to the 3-part podcast by Freakonomics on the traditional art market, as it gives a great deal of context as to why artists and collectors are interested in NFTs (it discusses crypto art in Part 3).